Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bruce's Beloved Banana Cake (and icing)


Bruce's Beloved Banana Cake - by Jane


Bruce loves anything banana!! When I purchased the "What's Cooking in Washington County" cookbook in the 90's, I found this quick, easy, and delicious banana cake recipe. I have been making it ever since. The funny thing to me is that the recipe was entered in the cookbook by one of my first students. Mary was in one of my first classes when I started teaching at Johannisburg Grade School on the western side of Washington County way back in 1973. Just goes to prove that teachers can learn from their students as well as the other way around! 

As with so many recipes, I have changed it a little here and there. I sometimes add walnuts or pecans which were not on the original recipe. When I do that, then I do not always ice it. I leave it more like bread. This cake is dense and very moist, and although the icing is good; the cake does not always need it. This cake gets better the day or two after you make it. So if you want to take it somewhere, make it a day ahead of time for the best flavor of the bananas!

As always, simple ingredients!

Quick Banana Cake

From: What’s Cooking in Washington County
Entered by:  Mary Ann (Wienstroer) Klein

1 box yellow cake mix
1 c  buttermilk or  1 c sour milk (1 c milk with 1 tsp white vinegar)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 c walnuts(optional)

Mix together and pour into 9x13 greased pan. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes

When cool, frost with the following:

Cream Cheese Icing

1 (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
½ stick butter
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ c powdered sugar
½ c nuts, sprinkled on top


Mash 'em up!

Nuts, or no nuts? You decide!






No comments:

Post a Comment